by Louise Burgers. Giving shoppers signature retail experiences is what will entice them back into the malls, and shopping again. This is the premise of a unique campaign, #Iconic22 by one of Africa’s best-known malls, Sandton City, in South Africa’s business hub of Gauteng.
A few dozen media and influencers were hosted at Sandton City over the weekend to tour the world’s most coveted retail brands and indulge in the sensory experiences on offer for themselves, ahead of the launch. From Moet champagne in Sandton Sun hotel rooms to a Masterchef-crafted dessert on the rooftop outdoor dining area, bedecked with lights and flames, it was an experience to remember. And all the more fabulous after the social desert of the past two pandemic years we have all inhabited.
As a world class shopping destination with over 300 retailers, including many of the world’s most famous brands under its roof, Sandton City will provide shoppers with bespoke new ways to enjoy their luxury brands, many of which are exclusive to the mall precinct. The campaign kicks off this week with discounts, bespoke in store experiences, and unique brand offerings, including:
- Starting this week, the recently opened Dior Emporium, which houses its luxury skincare, fragrance and make up ranges, will enable fragrance connoisseurs to take home a personalised French fragrance with their name engraved on the bottle. The personalisation is done swiftly in store, on either a 100ml classic fragrance or a 250ml La Collection Prive fragrance. Additionally, an exclusive gift with purchase applies with every item bought at the boutique until 15 March, or while stocks last.
- Luxury travellers can visit the luggage specialists in Emporio Armani. From 15 – 22 March, collectors of the iconic Italian brand have the opportunity make a statement with their name embossed on one of the brand’s signature #MyEA Emporio bags. A variety of size options are available.
- Through its distinctive designs, Desigual will treat shoppers with an indulgent gift with all purchases. Purchasers of any fashion item from the iconic label, will be treated to both a gift card and an exclusive set of handmade earrings, from 22 – 29 March, or while stocks last.
- Karl Lagerfeld footwear and accessories will be available with a 20% discount at Preview footwear boutique between 22 – 29 March.
- Tuesdays at Sandton City will become “choose days” as an additional 22 limited edition, customed-crafted gifts, and complimentary parking, apply to the first 22 people that purchase each week’s special offer. To redeem these items, simply visit the Iconic 22 counter in the Protea Court on level four after making your purchase. Additionally, all shoppers who make an Iconic 22 purchase in the campaign period will go into a draw to win a R22,000 Sandton City gift card.
According to Sandton City management, the Iconic 22 exclusive offers will continue for the next few months, with new limited-edition offerings and experiences being launched every week. As Preston Gaddy, general manager of Sandton City, explained: “For the à la mode, the seekers of indulgence, and those who enjoy experiential retail, Sandton City is your city, and it is now more iconic than ever before. We can’t wait for shoppers to enjoy the unique selection of offerings that have been carefully curated for the Iconic 22 campaign, knowing that there is something to suit all tastes.”
Main image credit: Sandton City.
Louise Burgers is the Publisher and Editor and Co-Founder of RetailingAfrica.com. She has spent over 20 years writing about the FMCG retailing, marketing, media and advertising industry in South Africa and on the African continent. She has specialised in local and Africa consumer trends and is a passionate Afro-optimist who believes it is Africa’s time to rise again and that the Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) will be a global gamechanger in the next decade.
– Receive the Retailing Africa newsletter every Wednesday • Subscribe here.