Summer is about hot weather and even hotter trends. Layered or Neck-Mess Necklaces are a must-have for summer because they are easy to pair with your casual to dressy outfit. We’ve got a fun DIY for you using many different components like Limited Edition gemstones mixes, seed beads, necklace chain and instant pendants; all layered together.
We love the different gemstone shapes in the Blue Skies gemstone mix, where we used the heishi and round beads in this mix for our layered necklace.
Items used in necklace:
- Z001033 – 32 Inch Rhodium Plated Cable Chain Necklace
- X003062 – 5.5mm Jump Ring
- Y005033 – 6mm Closed Ring
- FTBW0001 – Fine SoftFlex Wire
- X009683 – Limited Edition Clear Blue Skies Candy Jade Mix from Dakota Stones
- SB00106 – 8/0 Galvanized Silver Seed Beads
- A004830 – 2mm Silver Plated Crimp Tubes
- Z010379/Z010376 – Wire Guardians
- CH01180 (1 foot)- 11.6mm Silver Finish Steel Thin Paperclip Cable Chain
– Z016436 – Silver Instant Pendant with Cone
Get the components and pattern tutorial for the instant pendant in the Peyote Tube with Beadalon Instant Pendants blog post.
- Cut paperclip chain in half to make two 6 inch pieces.
- Cut a 20″ piece of soft flex wire.
- String on the following:
- Seed bead, crimp tube and seed bead.
- 5 round gemstones and seed bead. Repeat 6 more times.
- Crimp tube and seed bead.
- Loop one end of flex wire through a Wire Guardian, making sure to loop the wire guardian through a link of a 6″ paperclip chain. Slide flex wire through seed bead and crimp tube. And crimp the tube with crimping pliers. Cut end to leave about a 1/2 inch tail. Slide beads over to repeat and crimp on other end and other chain link.
- Open a jump ring and slide on other end of paperclip chain and link it to the ends of the chain necklace. This is where all the layers will link on.
- Cut a 30″ piece of soft flex wire.
- String on the following bead sections:
- Seed bead, crimp tube and seed bead
- Two small heishi and seed bead. Repeat and string on 24inches of this sequence.
- crimp tube and seed bead.
- Feed one end of the flex wire through the Wire Guardian, making sure to loop the wire guardian through the end link of the chain necklace. (Same place you attached the paperclip chain in step 5) Slide flex wire through seed bead and crimp tube and make a crimp. Cut end to leave a 1/2 inch tail. Slide all the beads over to hide the tail end and repeat crimping on this this end.
9. Unclasp both of the clasp on the chain necklace. Open jump ring, slide on ring where all the layers are linked at and a closed ring. Do on both sides and add clasp back on.
10. Make peyote tube add to instant pendant. You can find pattern tutorial from the Peyote Tube with Beadalon Instant Pendants with components. Gently open the loop of the instant pendant just big enough to slide chain necklace on. And gently close it.